An exciting opportunity has arisen to join the Suffolk County Council (SCC) Transport, Travel & Safety Team as an Active Travel Officer, based in Ipswich at Endeavour House but working across the County including from home and our other offices.
Do you have recent experience of working with schools, businesses or communities to encourage and promote active or sustainable lifestyles?
Would you like to work in an incredibly varied, challenging and rewarding role, with a proactive team?
Are you passionate about making a positive difference to the lives of people living and working in Suffolk?
- You will work across a range of areas and settings to engage with schools, businesses and new developments to make it easier for people to choose walking, cycling and use public transport instead of the car for their local journeys.
- You will bring a range of activities and initiatives tailored to the local setting, such as (but not limited to) Modeshift STARS accreditation, event days and promotion and participation in local or national campaigns such as Clean Air Day, Walk once a Week or Bike Month.
- You will work with internal and external stakeholders and partners to ensure that your work reflects the needs of all and that there is an inclusive approach to this. This includes Public Health, Children & Young People and the District Councils
- You will have the opportunity to be innovative and forward thinking in your approach to your workload and develop relationships with a wide range of colleagues.
- You will work as part of a team within Transport Strategy and the wider Growth, Highways and Infrastructure Directorate, your work will contribute directly to the priorities of the Council.
You will work with employers, developers, residents and schools, primarily in the larger towns, to deliver effective activities and interventions. This a key element within the Suffolk Local Transport Plan. You will need to be able to demonstrate experience of successful partnership working; have an understanding of local travel options, be committed to the promotion of active and sustainable travel, have the ability to take forward project work with minimum supervision, be able to work well with others both in the team and your wider contacts, and be self-motivated and have the ability to successfully motivate others.
You will need
- an appropriate degree/HND or similar level qualification
- experience of successfully delivering similar successful work within the past 3 years
- experience of effectively managing multiple workstreams, budgets and stakeholders in a variety of settings
- ability to use appropriate IT applications including Teams, financial systems (training provided) and Microsoft Office applications.
The Transport Travel and Safety team includes specialist officers with responsibility for road safety education and training, transport planning, behavioural change, traffic management, safety engineering and the school crossing patrol service. If you are enthusiastic about making a positive change to people’s health, contributing to making a positive impact on the environment and seeing the results of your work this role is an opportunity to make a real and long-lasting contribution as part of the team’s collective work.
We will offer you
- a respectful and positive working environment
- the opportunity to network and research good practice across the region
- the opportunity to develop your skills and knowledge
- a meaningful and rewarding portfolio of work
- the opportunity to become familiar with the work of a range of teams in the Council.
Travelling requirements for your role
Infrequent Travel – This organisation positively encourages the use of technology to communicate and engage, but on occasions, there may be a requirement for you to travel using reasonable and suitable means available to you and agreed by the authority.
For an informal discussion about this role, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Due to the current situation with Covid-19, we have strict limitations on staff working in our offices and most of us are being asked to work from home. If you wish to discuss how that might impact your working arrangements, please contact the recruiting manager listed at the bottom of this advert.
This authority is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. DBS checks or police vetting will be required for relevant posts.
For more information please use the link:- Active Travel Officer (suffolkjobsdirect.org)